[Update: A newer version has been released]
It's been a while since I published StyleCop for ReSharper on CodePlex. Just after I put the project live, I discovered that another developer, by the name of Colin Nash, had a similar idea - fortunately after a quick chat with Colin we decided to join forces and the StyleCop for ReSharper Development Team was born! Within a few days we were joined by James Dawson, one of Conchango's seasoned Platform Architects and Jon Sharratt a recent recruit. The major push behind this release was to add as many of the features as requested by the community as possible, while also improving some of the existing features as well as fixing some bugs. We're also now listed on the official ReSharper Plugins page!
The major focuses have been on:
- Improved (more accurate) violation highlighting
- More accurate detection of the project settings.StyleCop file
- More accurate detection of the StyleCop assemblies
- Ability to choose the severity settings of each violation (error, warning, suggestion, hint, do not show)
- Ability to perform "Quick Fixes" on common StyleCop violations
- Improve installation experience (enforce pre-requisites, install on Visual Studio 2005 and 2008)
- Remove dependencies on .NET 3.5 and Visual Studio 2008
The actual bug fixes are as follows:
- Added fix for issue #18633 (Installation crashes VS2008 (non SP1)).
- Added fix for issue #18498 (Add ability to choose severity for each StyleCop Rule).
- Added fix for issue #18490 (Plugin can't find Settings.SourceAnalysis file).
- Added fix for issue #18717 (Plugin doesn't read StyleCop.Settings in solution folder).
- Added fix for issue #18787 (Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.StyleCop, ...').
- Added fix for issue #18749 (Adjusted version).
- Added fix for issue #18775 (Plug-in requires .NET 3.5 and VS 2008).
- Added fix for issue #19148 (Add context menu for changing the rule settings for each violation).
- Added fix for issue #19146 (Enhance StyleCop setting search).
- Added fix for issue #19147 (Crash when line is before the element).
- Added fix for issue #19145 (Highlighting is at the wrong place for some rules).
Jon Sharratt concentrated on improving the violation highlighting and implemented the "Quick Fix" framework as well as some initial quick fixes for common spacing rules:
Colin Nash worked on the StyleCop assembly location feature:
As well as the Inspection Severity options:
James Dawson created a new WiX based installer, that enforces the pre-requisites of StyleCop 4.3 and ReSharper 4.1:
And also deals with installing the plug-in in the right directory for both Visual Studio 2005 & 2008 installations:
One facet of running a CodePlex project that has really blown me away is the contributions of strangers. RemoGloor published several patches to the project, including this very nice feature - a quick fix to allow the user to set the inspection severity of any of the violations:
Which creates a little dialog that allows you to chose you option (or open the main dialog):
Oh and I created a new logo for the project!
I just wanted to say a big thank-you to all those who have downloaded the plug-in, added an issue or submitted a patch.
You can download the new release from the releases page on CodePlex. The next release will focus on adding more Quick Fixes. If you want to contribute to the project, drop me a line.