SSIS: Failure to open VSA from SSIS Designer

I've just come across what looks like a pretty nasty problem in SSIS for which there is actually a simple workaround.

It involves trying to open up Visual Studio for Applications (VSA) from the SSIS Designer, specifically from the items that use VSA - the Script Task and the Script Component. The problems I was getting were:

When clicking "Design Script..." in Script Component editor I got a message box:
Title: Microsoft Visual Studio
Message: Cannot show Visual Studio for Applications Editor. Additional Information-->The method or operation is not implemented (Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration)

When clicking "Design Script..." in Script Task editor the Script Task editor disappears and I'm returned to control-flow surface.

According to this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=109643 its caused by having C# projects in the same solution as your SSIS project. And the fix? Reboot my friend...reboot!!! Not a particularly friendly workaround it has to be said but it seems to have done the trick.

Hopefully this bug (for it IS a bug) will be fixed before too long!

Published Monday, October 31, 2005 1:41 PM by jamie.thomson

Comments

Kirk said:

Yep, it's a bug. Should be fixed in SP1.
Universe.Earth.Software.Microsoft.SQLServer.IS.KirkHaselden
December 5, 2005 6:44 AM

Balaji said:

Thanks. Well, I faced a similar problem and this hint helped a lot. But reboot is not required, just close your Visual Studio/Business Intelligence Studio and open it again.

Thanks again
December 29, 2005 5:40 AM

James McAuliffe said:

Here is something related - you would need to check the folder in which that reporting element is located, by searching for Microsoft.DataWarehouse*.dll

(I think the underlying cause is something to do with .Net 3.0 install, Maybe the installation of SQL2005 SP2, or maybe the order of install between VS2005 and SSIS, but whatever the reason, there is a registry issue.

First, do make sure your SSIS service has appropriate login rights.

Also, navigate to the folder in which the indicated element is located, which you will see when you get the search results come back.

In that folder, run this command to re-register everything in there.:

for %i in (*.dll) do RegSvr32 -s %i

I had determined this was the issue from the detailed error message provided in the dialog, where it indicated the problem was the program Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.Dt.get_extensibility....  blah blah, and another message saying "interface not registered".  Putting 2 and 2 together, I did a search for that dll, and registered everything in that folder and the other one.  I recognize a COM error when I see one :).

There are a few people on forums starting to post this issue, and there don't seem to be any responses, so tell everyone you know, because I'm sure it will be a common problem among SSIS developers who use scripting.

Repeat as necessary for other dialogs.

February 26, 2007 1:05 AM

James,

That's great information. I really appreciate the effort - thank you very much.

February 26, 2007 2:12 AM

Sam said:

Hello James,

When I did a search for Microsoft.DataWarehouse*.dll. I found a lot files in the search option. How do I execute/register

for %i in (*.dll) do RegSvr32 -s %i

July 24, 2007 8:39 PM

Sam said:

I registered the dll as per your above Microsoft.Dat... But I am still getting the error "Cannot open editor"..

Any help would be appreciated

I have Sql Server 2005 SP2 and .NET 3.0 Installed..

July 24, 2007 9:59 PM

Jeff Halvo said:

We are still having this problem on 2 developers machines, none of the above hints have worked.  They have tried removing, reinstalling with and without service packs and they still get an error upon trying to design the script in a Script Task.

I am curious about the fact of "re-registering" these DLLs, as I didn't see many COM dll's in those folders at all.  Almost none of them can really be registered (run your command without the -s silent option).

July 31, 2007 4:21 PM

Jeff Halvo said:

FYI, this was in regards to the issue James brought up with "Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.Dt.get_extensibility.... " and "interface not registered".

July 31, 2007 4:22 PM

SAM said:

Any Update??  Fix??

Forums at Microsoft say that we need to get in touch with Product support to get the hot-fix. But that is an issue for developers, as we work in a controlled environment and any hot-fix has to go through a whole big corporate process to get it approved.

Any help would be appreciated.

July 31, 2007 7:58 PM

Sam,

I presume that question was meant for me. I'm afraid I have no knowledge that may help you here. If you find anything out I'd be grateful if you could share it.

July 31, 2007 8:29 PM