SQL Server Monitor Gadget v1.0.001

One week ago we released v1.0 of SQL Server Monitor Gadget for Windows Vista Sidebar. Today we are making available v1.0.001 and as you can probably guess from the version number, its not a whole lot different! Quite simply, John has fixed a bug where the database name was not being displayed after a reboot.

Get the latest and greatest from here:

David will no doubt be pleased that this comes in a handy 59kb file now that we don't bundle the demo video along with it!

As before, if you have any feedback let me know. Version 1 was put out to whet your appetites. John and I are currently discussing what to put into version 2 and your feedback would be welcomed. One thing I am particularly interested in feedback on is the ability to connect using SQL Server authentication as well as Windows Authentication. This has been requested but at the moment we are reticent because of the security implications of storing a password in freetext.

Published Friday, August 17, 2007 3:49 AM by jamie.thomson

Comments

University Update - Windows Vista - SQL Server Monitor Gadget v1.0.001 said:

August 17, 2007 8:47 AM

Rob Farley said:

A while back I discussed using the Windows Vista Sidebar to display useful information about applications

August 17, 2007 11:45 AM

Jason Haley said:

August 17, 2007 3:46 PM

Jason Haley said:

August 17, 2007 3:52 PM

Stan Segers said:

You can have this gadget more than once on your sidebar with different connections, but I would like a list of databases to be polled in a single gadget (you can still keep multiple gadgets on your sidebar, one for every server / instance).

August 18, 2007 1:30 PM

Hi Stan,

At the moment we are keeping the scope of this gadget to be a single database. Like you say, multiple instances of the gadget can appear on the screen at any one time.

August 18, 2007 4:18 PM

Hi Stan,

August 18, 2007 4:20 PM

Shiva said:

If the scope is to limit to a single database, how about trying to tag on other metrices like # of transactions/sec, # of locks, size distribution by table, etc? I know that you can look at Perfmon and get these values. But it would be nice to have a gadget view of these.

Shiva

August 20, 2007 8:52 PM

Thanks Shiva. Those are exactly the sorts of ideas I was after.

August 21, 2007 12:19 AM

Chris crowe said:

#1 - Why a zip file containing a .GADGET file which is a .ZIP file renamed?

Is this because of IIS 6 MimeMap missing for .GADGET?

If so it is the following

Extension  :  .gadget

Mimetype  :  application/x-windows-gadget

I thought I should post this ASAP as it looked odd to me, next to actually look at your gadget.

Cheers

chris

August 25, 2007 9:05 AM

Sam Loud said:

I don't really do any transactional dB stuff, but I really like the gadget - I like how lightweight and limited in scope it is - it does a simple thing well, which is great.

What would be great for me, from a more BI side of things, would be a similar gadget that polled the Reporting Services dB, and brought back stats on which reports were being run, by who, longest running reports, that sort of thing.

Or one which monitored overnight SSIS jobs, presenting infomation on run durations, errored rows, failed packages,  (un)sucessful cube processes etc. I guess you'd have to have a specialised dB in the background that stored all this info. The gadget could then query that dB, and surface the most pertinant facts. Could act as an early warning for failed ETL.....

August 31, 2007 8:53 AM

Alexander Gladchenko said:

Практика показывает, что использование гаджетов (мини-приложений для боковой панели Windows Vista) для

September 20, 2007 2:50 PM

Peter said:

Great gadget! one thing, I would like to see the gadget visually change if the database in not available e.g. change colour icon etc.  This would then give me an instant view on whether the database was operational or not.  This could also extend to individual threshholds such as Log File size > 100Mb could change the statistic visualy.  However I do like the gadget very much and it is very light which is a big plus.

November 23, 2007 4:10 PM

Kevin said:

What a great Idea.  Something that would be cool is if there was a simple server availability type of gadget, where you can add multiple servers, and maybe a starting DB, and all the gadget would show would be the list of servers and a color to indicate if it is available.

Is there any way you could provide the source so we could make our own updates using yours as a base?

March 6, 2008 4:07 PM

Hi kevin,

I'll look into it. The gadget has taken a bit of a back seat of late - I need to lay my hands on the code again :)

March 6, 2008 4:11 PM