SSIS: SQL 2008 Benchmarks

Microsoft have published some TPC benchmarks for SQL Server 2008 which you can read here. Of most interest to me was the final paragraph which stated:

ETL Performance

Application

Company

Result

ETL Performance

Unisys

Load 1TB of data in less than 30 minutes using ETL tools

32-proc (64-core) server [ES7000]

World record for ETL load performance

World record ETL Performance huh? I wonder what Ab Initio and Informatica would have to say about that?

Published Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:01 PM by jamie.thomson

Comments

Matt Masson said:

Aww, so skeptical? :)

The SQL Perf blog has posted the details of how the record was set. Check it out.

February 27, 2008 9:44 PM

Dmitry said:

records tend to be in the details :)

February 27, 2008 10:00 PM

Vincent McBurney said:

Does that mean they have qualified for the Beijing Olympics?

I would love to see standard benchmark test for ETL tools but I think Microsoft would lose out in the Unix, Linux and z/os benchmarks!  Not to mention the DB2, Oracle, Teradata, Sybase etc load benchmarks.  The "old" world record by Informatica and Sun is over two years old so I guess that means Microsoft are only two years behind Informatica PowerCenter.  Informatica have spent US$100 on software development and released two new versions since then so I'm guessing 1TB in 33 minutes would be a piece of cake for Informatica and Sun on the latest hardware.

February 28, 2008 12:16 AM

Vincent,

yeah you're right, I fully expect that someone else will blow this out of the water pretty soon.

I don't really understand this comment though: "The "old" world record by Informatica and Sun is over two years old so I guess that means Microsoft are only two years behind Informatica PowerCenter"

If they had achieved the same throughput then I could understand it but they didn't. They surpassed it by achieving the same amount of data in approx two thirds of the time of Informatica's benchmark - so I don't really understand the assertion that they are two years behind.

Not that it matters. Thanks for the comment.

February 28, 2008 2:42 AM

Dave-Ruijter said:

Microsoft has published a performance benchmark on loading 1TB of data using ETL stuff in SSIS 2008.

February 28, 2008 8:05 AM

David Powell said:

I don't understand it, either Jamie. Vincent, PowerCenter's a fine product, but your post sounds like sour grapes. C'mon, how 'bout at least a tip of the hat?

I'd also like to correct the facts: the last Informatica result came out on August 14, 2006, so it's been about 18 months.

Too, we didn't use the fastest available processors on our new result, so it's quite comparable to the previous record. And we bundle SSIS with most SQL Server SKUs, so we should also talk about record price/performance. :)

I'm sure someone will beat this result (we have already), that's the nature of benchmarks. The important thing is that we're finally trying, and doing so will help us deliver a better SSIS product for customers when we release SQL Server 2008. What's not to like about that?

March 2, 2008 5:39 PM