SSDS is Microsoft's Amazon S3 competitor

OK, as a follow-up to my last post I've now taken the time to read the SQL Server Data Services (SSDS) whitepaper and have managed to discern some interesting information. I figured I'd stick it up here for reference.

Administration

• Customers will be billed by account and each account will be accessed using a Windows Live ID
  • The administration tool will be web-based

Data Manipulation

• The lowest level unit of accessibility is an entity. Examples of entities are [Person], [Address], [Book].
  • SSDS supports (and only supports) CRUD capabilities on entities. I'm deducing from this that we won't be able to store our own procedural code in one of these services.
  • An entity has properties. The possible data types for properties are string, binary, boolean, number and datetime
  • CRUD operations are possible on entities
  • The query language will be LINQ
  • The data can also be accessed via RESTful URIs
  • There will also be SOAP endpoints although it beats me why you'd want to use them if you there are RESTful endpoints
  • Entities (actually containers of entities) can be read-only or read-write

Its quite obvious to me that this is going to be built atop the ADO.Net Entity Framework and the data will be exposed via RESTful URIs using  ADO.Net Data Services. The ADO.Net Data Services team have already provided a suite of client libraries that will be used to access SSDS services from Silverlight, AJAX apps, etc...

Three weeks ago Robert Scoble said:

It’s almost too late for the others to get into the game [of data storage on the web]. It’s amazing (or maybe it should be “amazoning”) to me that Ray Ozzie over at Microsoft has let Amazon have so much runway.

So, I ask you, can anyone stop Amazon from totally taking over the corporate data infrastructure market?

Well Robert, SSDS is Microsoft's riposte. Can they stop Amazon? Who knows, it might slow them down a bit (when SSDS finally gets released - it hasn't even reached beta yet) but Amazon are already miles and miles ahead with this. Having said that, its difficult to know how far Amazon have got into the enterprise data storage market and that will be Microsoft's key battleground.

Comments

Randy said:

I'm curious about who the typical users of SSDS will be?  Many of us host customer data and I'm assuming most of my customers won't want their data stored that way ( bank car loan data ).    Is it expected that companies will see this as cheaper than having their own data management staff?

March 9, 2008 7:31 PM

Vince said:

I think that SSDS is a very important development, because it supports new models for flexible/customisable application development.

As soon as the .NET army get used to SSDS, either in the cloud or on-premise, the utilization of SSDS will take off.

Whilst SalesForce.com and Amazon are undoubetedly pioneers in the 'platform in the cloud' market, the arrival of Microsoft into this market has the potential to reduce their contribution to a footnote in the history of computing.

Sometimes its important to bet on the right platform!

June 4, 2008 9:49 AM

witty said:

What about Google then? They have their GAE out already and sure as heck want to dominate the other players in this field.

June 6, 2008 12:38 AM

Nick Williams said:

SSDS is NOT Microsoft's Amazon S3 competitor...

S3 is just storage.. that's it.  You can mount an S3 bucket to an Amazon EC2 instance, but again it is just a drive at that point.  S3 does not have any inherent database capabilities.  You *can* put a database on an S3 mount (in the same way I could put an mdf on a network drive), but again the actual database engine would be on your EC2 instance.  At that point all data reads/writes would be pushed through the network stack to persist to the actual storage.

SSDS, on the other hand, is a database exposed via ADO.NET Data Services.  Although you *can* store things like images in the database just as you could with a local SQL database, that's not its primary purpose unlike S3.  You are literally querying a database with Data Services, not storing files.  These are two very different things.

November 13, 2008 1:25 AM

Nick,

yes, you're right. forgive me...I was confusing S3 and EC2. This post was written a long time ago and I've learnt a lot more since then.

By the way, SDS (nee SSDS) is not exposed via ADO.Net Data Services. At the time of writing there are plans to build an ADO.Net Data Services abstraction on top of the SDS ACE model but nothing is concrete and it is definitely not there today.

November 13, 2008 10:20 AM