Welcome to EMC Consulting Blogs Sign in | Join | Help

Jonathan George's Blog

Optimising an ASP.NET MVC web site part 1 - Introduction

One of the things I’ve been involved in over the past couple of months is performance tuning work for my current project. One of my EMC Consulting colleagues, Marcin Kaluza, has recently started posting on this subject and I’ve been encouraged by Howard to post some “war stories” of the kind of things I’ve encountered whilst doing this on projects, starting with the most recent.

So first, some background. It’s an public facing website project, and is based on Billy McCafferty’s excellent S#arp Architecture - which means it’s ASP.NET MVC with NHibernate talking to SQL Server 2008 databases. We’re using the Spark View Engine instead of the out of the box one, and the site uses N2 CMS to provide content management capabilities (James posted a while back on the reasons for choosing N2.) Finally, we use Solr to provide our search functionality, integrated using Solrnet. I joined the team a few months into the project, by which point they had laid a firm foundation and were about to be abandoned for 6 weeks by their technical lead who had inconsiderately booked his wedding and an extended honeymoon right in the middle of the project.

When the project was set up it was done so in strictly in accordance with agile principles. A small team was given a fixed date for go-live and the directive to spend the client’s money as if it were their own. One of the first things that happened was the adoption of a number of principles from the excellent 37signals e-book “Getting  Real”. A product backlog was assembled, and then – in accordance with the “build less” maxim – divided into “core” and “non-core” user stories. The core stories were what was essential for go live – things the client couldn’t live without, such as basic search and content management. The non-core stories are things that might enhance the site but aren’t essential – for example, advanced search features such as faceted navigation.

The absolute focus the team maintained on the core functionality and target delivery date has made this one of the best and most successful agile projects I’ve worked on – we reached our go live date on budget and were able to substantially over deliver on functionality. Whilst the site is relatively basic compared to some I’ve worked on, it stands out amongst its peers and provides a great platform for new functionality to be built on.

However, now I’ve extolled the virtues of the approach that was taken, I should talk about the performance optimisation and testing work we did. Since I have some experience from previous projects, I took on the task of testing the site to make sure it could handle an acceptable level of load without falling over in an embarrassing heap. However, before I started on that, we did some optimisation work on the site.

The aim was to hit the major pain points, since we knew performance had degraded over the previous few sprints. Once this was done, we could run some load testing and perform further tuning and optimisation work as required. I was originally intending to write a single post covering the optimisation process, then follow that up with one about the load testing process. However, that resulted in a rather lengthy post, so I’m splitting it up into several parts that I will post over the next week or two:

In addition, I’ve already covered the work we did to correctly configure IIS in my post How to improve your YSlow score under IIS7.

I hope you find these posts interesting – please let me know what you think by leaving a comment.

@jon_george1

Published Saturday, October 03, 2009 11:25 PM by jonathan.george

Comment Notification

If you would like to receive an email when updates are made to this post, please register here

Subscribe to this post's comments using RSS

Comments

 

Jonathan George's Blog said:

This is part 3 in a series of posts on optimisation work we carried out on my current project – an ASP.NET

October 12, 2009 9:51 PM
 

Jonathan George's Blog said:

This is the penultimate part in a series of posts on optimisation work we carried out on my last project,

November 3, 2009 4:14 PM
 

Jonathan George's Blog said:

This is the final part of a series of posts on optimisation work we carried out on my last project, www.fancydressoutfitters.co.uk

November 3, 2009 5:55 PM

Leave a Comment

(required) 
(optional)
(required) 
Submit
Powered by Community Server (Personal Edition), by Telligent Systems