Steven Goddard

Weekly Digest of what EMC's bloggers have been writing about 24/01/13, via @mattbuckley

1. Reflections – EMC Executives Report From The Road

Close Mark as read and hide

How EMC Uses Big Data to Deliver Value to the Business

6 days ago

By KK Krishnakumar, Vice President and Chief IT Architect

Harnessing Big Data is an important strategy for all companies in today’s information-driven world. But where do you begin in choosing a project to utilize this vast resource effectively? Much has been written about the three Vs of Big Data – Volume, Velocity and Variety. But the unsaid fourth V–Value–is the one where we have to direct our focus. It only makes sense to start where Big Data analytics will have a big impact right away.

2. Chuck's Blog – An EMC insider's perspective on information, technology and customer challenges.

What A Modern Factory Can Teach You About High-Performance IT

7 days ago

I'm not the only who's fascinated by high-performance IT organizations, and the transformations required to get them there. In my travels, I've encountered others who share my fascination.  And -- each and every time -- we all inevitably gravitate to the same set of analogies: modern factories and how manufacturing works. This should be no surprise.  In the digital economy, IT is the new factory -- it's responsible for delivering the organization's value proposition in the digital world.

Enterprise Storage Heats Up – Again!

7 days ago

Once you spend any time inside the storage marketplace, you'll come to appreciate there are many segments and subsegments.  The need to store information is ubiquitous -- the approaches are not. Sit down and attempt to segment the storage marketplace, and you'll quickly end up with a fairly complicated model.  One familiar category is what is imprecisely called "enterprise storage" or sometimes "tier 1" -- the storage that supports the enterprise's most critical applications.

What I Mean When I Say "Enterprise Storage"

7 days ago

The recent announcement of the VMAX 10K brought up an interesting discussion for us storage folks: what -- exactly -- might "enterprise storage" be?  I find that the definitions offered by the industry analysts are incomplete and unsatisfying at best.  And there's certainly strong motivation for any storage vendor to slap an "enterprise" label on their product in an effort to attract more potential customers.  My credentials to offer an informed perspective are substantial, but not impeccable.

The End Of The Group File Share?

7 days ago

It was certainly a big deal many decades ago: the notion that one of your desktop drives ("H:\") could actually be shared with your co-workers over a LAN.  No more floppies.  A shared repository, usually up-to-date.  A huge productivity leap forward, back in the day. Over time, shared drives became file shares, and repositories, and content-oriented collaboration was layered on top, and then -- the world changed.
We all went mobile.  Not just on one device, but often several. We wanted personal control of who we share with, and under what terms.

3. Information Playground – Global High-Tech Innovation

Russian Re-use: An Innovation Mentoring Tale

1 day ago

I am starting the year with two mentees: one in China and one in Russia. We meet every two weeks. In both cases the mentees drive the agenda. They state their career goals and ask me to help in specific ways. These meetings are a fascinating opportunity to discover the intersections and differences between cultures. It still surprises me how my software engineering business relationships have not only become increasingly international, but also geographically distributed.

Hybrid Analytics

6 days ago

Every IT organization (and IT vendor for that matter) has one of those performance geeks who answers every question with "It depends". When I designed storage systems, I tried to justify implementation choices with our performance team. I would ask specific questions about I/O workloads to our performance guru (Malcolm). I could never get a straight answer out of him, so I stopped asking! Dave Vellante and his Wikibon team are publishing interesting research on the use of Amazon public cloud in the enterprise.

4. Speaking of Security, the RSA Blog and Podcast – featuring a group of experts in identity management, encryption, privacy, policy, and enterprise security standards.

Reinforcing our doors in 2013

1 day ago

In my last blog I talked about the key technologies breaking down our doors in 2013. The four key areas were Cloud Computing, Social Media, Big Data and Mobile Devices. None of these should have come as a surprise to anyone in the industry today. These are all topics that are discussed and debated around tables of security teams in most enterprises. So, what can we do today to ensure we are prepared for these challenges and how do we start reinforcing our doors so that we allow these new technologies but have greater control and visibility and provide transparency for the user? There are three gaps that will help with this reinforcement. Addressing these gaps will require organizations to act now!

The next marketing buzzword in security is…

1 day ago

Every year we seem to have a new buzz term in security.  As someone who lives in the security product marketing world I’ve seen trends come and go. Terminology that was once mandatory in every piece of collateral suddenly becomes stale and cringe-worthy (APT is becoming one of these).  We’ve had a bunch of buzzwords and phrases; some were pretty good and some were really terrible.  I should know I helped propagate some of these buzzwords.

Deceit as a Defense

1 day ago

An information security professional’s job is becoming more like military defense every day. We are charged with battling on multiple fronts, typically without enough resources to do the job well. Yet, our creativity can serve us well in defeating any number of attackers before they steal our goods. Now we have another great example of a company taking military defense techniques to a new level and leveraging deception in their daily process.

New name, Same Game: Red October and the Question of Attribution

2 days ago

Earlier this month, Kaspersky Labs announced the discovery of a new style of cyber espionage campaign.  Research on this threat campaign began in October of 2012 according Kaspersky’s whitepaper.  I’m not convinced that it is entirely new but let’s press on and see what the boys there have to say.  The researchers there began their investigation by examining the aftermath of a series of attacks conducted against networks belonging to the diplomatic services of various governments and their respective agencies.

Big Data Fuels Intelligence-Driven Security

3 days ago

This month, RSA released a new Security Brief titled “Big Data Fuels Intelligence-Driven Security.” Indeed, one of the themes of this blog over the last year or so has been looking for the bad guys hiding in plain sight. Your standard controls won’t catch them—or at least won’t catch them in time. Instead, you will probably rely on poorly constructed logs and expensive forensics to try and piece together exactly what happened.

Disruptive technologies breaking down our doors in 2013

4 days ago

RSA recently launched its latest SBIC report titled ‘Information Security Shake-up – Disruptive Innovations to test Security’s Mettle in 2013’. It introduces some interesting food for thought on what organizations should have on their ‘to do ‘list for 2013. Four key innovations are highlighted which shouldn’t come as a big surprise to anyone, I think we have all been addressing some of these in the last year but it’s time to hunker down and really start focusing on these four key innovations which will test the true grit of our security systems.

Keys in the Cloud

6 days ago

The Cloud Best Practices Network has just published the second installment of the e-magazine TRANSFORM. This issue, which focuses on various aspects of cloud security, includes my article on “Key Management Strategies for the Hybrid Cloud”, leveraging the use cases that we developed in OASIS KMIP for our work on the next version of KMIP. I presented a version of this information at RSA Conference China and touched on it in an earlier blog.

Secure Crypto: Cluster Cracker

6 days ago

At a recent conference, Passwords^12, Jeremi M Gosney the Founder & CEO of Stricture Consulting Group, presented his latest password cracking project. Jeremi combined 25 AMD Radeon GPUs, across eighteen cards, and across five servers in a cluster. This beast he created has the ability to make nearly 350 billion (yes, that’s 350 million million!) guesses per second on NTLM secured passwords. It can also make 180 billion guesses per second on MD5 protected passwords and 63 billion guesses per second on SHA-1 protected passwords.

The Public Cloud, Pigeons and Risk Management — Part 4

6 days ago

I have recently been asked if the research paper about key leakage across VMs running on a hypervisor invalidates the position I advanced in this series of blogs?  No, it doesn’t, although key management is something which deserves far more attention than it gets from the general INFOSEC community, outside of the government COMSEC agencies.  Oh, and by the way, this is a very cool piece of research.

5. The Backup Window – 360° view of backup and recovery

Tape is Alive? Inconceivable!

1 day ago

To begin each year, Joe Tucci brings 400+ people together for the EMC Leadership Meeting. We spend a little time reflecting on the prior year, but most of it focusing on the future. After that, the Backup and Recovery Systems Division leadership spends another day planning our future. So, imagine my surprise when I saw, on the Backup and Recovery Professionals Group on LinkedIn, a thoughtful discussion about the role of tape in the backup environment. I’ve just spent a week discussing cloud, big data, and the evolution of data protection… and we’re still talking about tape? Inconceivable!

6. EMC IT Proven – Leading our IT Transformation

“There’s never been a better time to be in IT” says EMC CIO Sanjay Mirchandani

5 days ago

EMC IT, spearheaded by EMC CIO Sanjay Mirchandani and his team, has been on course to evolve into a fully-enabled cloud environment. EMC IT’s “Journey to the Cloud” has required a new way of thinking of service management and service delivery. The benefit has been significant savings in operation expenditures and a more dynamic IT environment. This transition signifies a changing of the guard in the industry, which is why Sanjay told InformationWeek that “there’s never been a better time to be in IT.”

How EMC Uses Big Data to Deliver Value to the Business

6 days ago

7. Thought Feast – The technology blog to feed your brain with industry trends and topics

IT Transformation – What We’ve Missed (Part 1)

1 day ago

Welcome 2013! Lady Backup is not one for predictions or resolutions, so don’t worry I’m not looking into my crystal ball.  Rather, I thought we would start the year by looking at an element of IT transformation that we didn’t talk about in 2012.  It is an enabler of IT transformation – contributing to your infrastructure transition from physical to virtual servers and in moving mission critical applications to the cloud.  What is it?  Archiving. Don’t get me wrong – we need to transform our IT Infrastructure from a static, physical model to one that is dynamic, agile and infinitely scalable.    But the question in my mind is whether you are transforming your infrastructure to store content that is outdated, no longer of value, or potentially damaging to your organization.

Re-enforcing our doors for security in 2013

2 days ago

In my last blog I talked about the key technologies breaking down our doors in 2013.  The four key areas were Cloud Computing, Social Media, Big Data and Mobile Devices.  None of these should have come as a surprise to anyone in the industry today. These are all topics that are discussed and debated around tables of Security teams in most enterprises.

8. InFocus – EMC Global Services Blog

How to Make Better Decisions Using Big Data

1 day ago

In past posts, I’ve written about the profile of a Data Scientist, especially the skills needed for people to grow into this new role. I’ve also written about the opportunities that Big Data provides, drawn in part from the Human Face of Big Data book, written by Rich Smolan. Despite all of the terrific possibilities that Big Data can enable, people ultimately need to realize that the value of the data is about people and driving change.

Notes From The Field: Inside A Real World Large-Scale Cloud Deployment

2 days ago

I’ve been granted an incredible opportunity. Over the past three and a half months I have gotten to lead a real world large-scale delivery of a cloud solution. The final solution will be delivered as Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) to the customer via an on-premise managed service. While I have developed SaaS/PaaS (Platform-as-a-Service) solutions in the past, I was fortunate enough to have been able to build those on public cloud infrastructures.

What it takes to be a Great Consultant … The Top 10 List

6 days ago

Many of you know I was a Worldwide Partner with Andersen and also worked for Accenture.  As a result, I stay in touch with my former partners and business associates. Gabrielle Wallace, Consultant with St. Charles Consulting Group and former Director of Andersen’s Education for Financial Assurance Services, recently published her Top 10 list of Great Consultant Attributes.  The following is based on her list – but updated and expanded for consultants that work in the IT and Telecom Industries.

9. Managed View – From Silos to Services

Service Outage Hits Home for Cloud Provider

5 days ago

Are there blind spots in your service assurance approach? Netflix, a provider of online streaming media, made news over the holidays when customers experienced a service outage on Christmas Eve.  Imagine taking the wrapping off of your new mobile device and deciding to try it out to stream a movie.   For those located in North America, you probably found that the Netflix movie streaming service was down. This outage was caused by issues within Amazon Web Services that Netflix employs to support movie streaming.

10. Virtual Geek – an insider's perspective, technical tips n' tricks in the era of the VMware Revolution

Oppa EMC Style!

5 days ago

Here by popular (infamous perhaps – it’s pretty bad :-) demand… “Oppa EMC Style” from the 2013 EMC Kickoff.  Click to watch some bad dancing (on my part) – the rest of the team was sharp and hit their mark :-)  The folks in the video represent a cross-section of EMCers – great, smart, hardworking people.   We try to not make this represent “somebody”, but more “everybody” – a cross section of the great technical folks at EMC that work with customers.

Matt Buckley  |  EMC EMEA Communications  |  t. +44 (0) 20 8758 5603  |  m. +44 (0)7500 799565  |  http://twitter.com/mattbuckley

Published Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:16 AM by steven.goddard

Comments

No Comments
Anonymous comments are disabled