Stuart Preston's Blog

Stuart was CTO for Application Consulting EMEA at EMC Consulting until October 2009, now blogging at http://stuartpreston.net

i-mate SP5 Smartphone (Windows Mobile 5.0) is developer locked by default

Tonight I had my first opportunity to try out Visual Studio 2005 and the Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK to see what I could tinker with on my i-Mate SP5.  I can only say my first experience was a disappointment and a real waste of an evening - I thought it was meant to be easier to develop for these devices than before?  Apparently not.

After loading the SDK and creating a new "Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone" project, I was a bit stunned to see that on pressing F5 that I couldn't deploy to my device, with the following error:

The device security configuration disallowed the connection. Ensure that you have the appropriate certificates on your device for development. Review your SDK documentation for proper security settings for connecting to this device.

After looking at this document http://msdn.microsoft.com/smartclient/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnppcgen/html/wmsecurity.asp - it suggested that my device was application locked.  Simple I thought, I'll just install the certificates from the SdkCerts.cab file in the SDK and off we go.  Unfortunately not - I got an error:

"Installation was unsuccessful. The program or setting cannot be installed because it does not have sufficient system permissions".

So I tried the rapiconfig tool, also in the SDK:

C:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\wce500\Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDK\Tools>rapiconfig /p SdkCerts.xml
Config failed (0x80070005): Access is denied.

It turns out that the phone is application locked by default, and the only way to unlock it is to edit the policy by editing the registry.

1.  Enable RAPI and user provided certificates:

You must use a registry editor signed by something the phone trusts already!  RegEditSTG http://blogs.conchango.com/stuartpreston/files/regeditSTG.zip will do the trick as it is already signed by HTC.

Copy the exe onto the device, launch it and change the policies as follows:

Navigate to HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\
      Click "Values" soft-key
      Change "00001001" value to 1 (decimal) (recovery note: default is 2)
      Change "00001005" value to 40 (decimal) (recovery note: default is 16)
      Reboot device.

At this point, you could probably import the certificates as above and deploy applications from Visual Studio 2005.  However, I decided to go the whole way and completely unlock my device.

2. Run SDA Security Unlocker to trust all applications (use this with caution):

Available from http://blogs.conchango.com/stuartpreston/files/SDA_ApplicationUnlock.zip

With the device connected by ActiveSync, run the program on your desktop machine.
      Click Remove-Lock.
      Reboot device.

Now you should be able to deploy successfully directly from within Visual Studio 2005.

Published Thursday, November 10, 2005 9:42 PM by Stuart.Preston

Comment Notification

Subscribe to this post's comments using RSS

Comments

Keni Barwick's Blog said:

As you know (and if not where have you been!) Conchango work with Windows Mobile devices (amongst others),...
December 13, 2005 12:29 PM

Isma said:

Thank you very much for your help!!
I've just migrate my application from VS2003 to VS2005, and to a new Qtek phone, and after all the migration this error was just killing me.

Now I'm just running my app in this new phone for the very first time, so thank you again
January 13, 2006 12:12 PM

mathijsuitmegen said:

I love this article.

Spent a couple of hours to try and deploy my app to a smartphone. It only took ten minutes after I read this article.

Smartphone security is a complicated thing and luckily tools are available that will allow you to develop more easily.
April 27, 2006 11:32 AM

rasmus|foged blog » Blog Archive » insufficient rights on your PDA (Mobile 2005) said:

May 20, 2006 2:40 PM

Ton Stegeman - SharePoint 2007 weblog said:

I am testing a new smartphone for one of my collegues (he runs lammersonline.nl). I wanted to synchronize...
August 13, 2006 8:45 PM

Techie Musings said:

My i-mate SP5 Windows Mobile 5 phone is locked so that you cannot install certificates or programs that are not signed. Great for security, not so good for usability (but a necessary precaution). Follow these instructions to remove this protection...
August 16, 2006 11:37 PM

New Phone Hurray! I-Mate SP5 at Lone Space said:

October 21, 2006 4:35 AM

aaahza said:

tied "Navigate to HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\

Click "Values" soft-key

Change "00001001" value to 1 (decimal) (recovery note: default is 2)

Change "00001005" value to 40 (decimal) (recovery note: default is 16)

Reboot device.

But recieved " error unable to perform operation"

Any help appreciated

Using SP5

November 4, 2006 4:30 PM

sorin said:

suuuper... thank you.. a real life saver.. keep up the good work ;)...

on my qtek smartphone it only worked to run the application after i removed ALL of the  security... but i think it was worth it :) thank you again

November 17, 2006 1:17 PM

uddinn9 said:

Hi guys,

I purchased a C600, its been a nightmare trying to get it working, as I need to unlock it because I dont have a certificate for an app... and to unlock I need to change the registry!  I installed regeditSTG.zip as mentioned above but I dont know how to  Navigate to HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\.  As when I click on regedit.exe it shows:

- HKEY_CLASSES_RO

- HKEY_CURRENT_U

- HKEY_LOCAL_MAC

- HKEY_USERS.

Which all showing a blank when I click 'Values'.  Any clues on how I can unlock the certificate requirement on the phone would be much appreciated.

Nazim

November 22, 2006 6:53 PM

Mobile Computing and Technologies said:

In case you are doing some Windows Mobile development on an HTC device, and you want to install the sample

February 9, 2007 6:41 PM

Motorola Q registry tweaks/mods/hacks - Motorola Q - Page 4 - Hello Moto Q Forums said:

March 27, 2007 3:12 AM

Newell's general gumpf said:

Directly from: Stuart Prestons Blog It turns out that the phone is application locked by default, and

March 29, 2007 6:22 AM

abhi said:

I am using HTC Pocket PC, followed the same operation but No luck . Its giving the same error. Kindly help me...
June 19, 2007 12:53 PM

Ninelocks » Blog Archive » How to unlock an imate SP5m said:

June 26, 2007 10:17 AM

Alex Blog » Blog Archive » Application deployment to BlackJack Smartphone said:

PingBack from http://www.alexlab.net/blog/?p=101
July 29, 2007 3:21 PM

Tim Anderson’s ITWriting - Tech writing blog » Security errors when developing for Windows Mobile said:

August 19, 2007 11:06 PM

Scott Ferguson said:

Thank you for your help, my iMate SP5 was locked the same way but your blog post sorted out my problems.
August 21, 2007 12:38 AM

Emile Pretorius said:

Hi Scott Ferguson, I am struggling to get my permissions unlocked. You say you have an sp5 how did you manage to unlock it. I am still gettin this irritating error when trying to change the values in the registry editor " error unable to perform operation" Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cherio
August 22, 2007 8:34 PM

Simran said:

Thanks. Worked for me.
August 29, 2007 3:21 PM

Hello, Mobile said:

September 18, 2007 2:54 AM

Calvin Hsia's WebLog said:

Windows Mobile 5.0 comes with a Web Browser (v6 is due out any day now). It runs on Pocket PCs and SmartPhones.

October 1, 2007 9:42 PM

Noticias externas said:

October 1, 2007 10:14 PM

MSDN Blog Postings » Create your own web browser on your SmartPhone said:

October 1, 2007 11:48 PM

Womens Discount Perfume » Not shalimar perfume but still interesting… said:

October 30, 2007 8:49 PM

Womens Discount Perfume » Not jo malone perfume but still interesting… said:

October 31, 2007 12:48 PM

Ian Grech said:

On HP iPaq 514 phone I could not find teh registry keys but the SDA_ApplicationUnlock worked ok. I could installed .NET 2.0 apps after that. Tnx.
January 20, 2008 12:26 PM

Tim B. said:

Awesome! I have a T-Mobile Dash (HTC, Windows Mobile 6.0) no problem installing my application CABs when downloaded from within the Internet Explorer. Trying to debug a program (via USB) is another story. The RegEdit solution did not work for me (was not able to save changes), but the SDA Security Unlocker worked like a charm (don't forget to restart the device: remove the battery). My environment is VS 2008 Professional. Thanks a million!!!

June 10, 2008 4:45 PM